A fire. And four fun hours.

There's never a dull day when you're fighting cancer with Lorelei. After getting lunch after her surgery today she met with a new transplant doctor (Dr. Dean Lee) who was covering for a vacationing Dr. Worth. Lorelei would never have met him otherwise and he was such a blessing! He took so much time answering all of her questions that it made us late reporting for chemo. (Dr. Lee even initiated and took the time to pray over Lorelei. Time well spent.) So, we were late coming to the 9th floor PATC for her first chemo treatment of Gemcitabine. As we got on the elevators to head up to the ninth floor a bunch of firefighters in full gear (with hoses on their backs) rushed past us. We skipped that elevator to try to gather more intel in the issue but couldn't figure out much. We caught the next elevator up to 9. As the elevator got closer to 9 we began to hear the alarms. The doors opened and a wave of heat hit us. Sirens were flashing and beeping and the hall was full of nurses and doctors. A very pregnant nurse (who was looking for Lorelei) told her to turn right around and exit the building. She sent us back to the pediatric clinic in the main building. As we traveled along we ran into more pediatric patients and families who were also "fire refugees." So exciting! Once back at the clinic as everyone was trying to regroup and get a new plan, we ran into a friend named Jordan whom Lorelei had not yet had the chance to meet. (Hannah and I met him back in March.) Jordan and Lorelei bonded immediately. Cancer is less un-fun when you go through it with someone else who truly understands. Seeing Jordan and his parents felt like a divine appointment. Thank God for the fire!

They rescheduled Lorelei's chemo to a new location at a later time. She'll get it at 5:00pm. That's only 4 hours late. But it was a good four hours.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.