Sleep Deprived on Day +9
November 2, 2012 (Day +9 since transplant)
Wanna know what a night in a bone marrow transplant patient is like? This is why Lorelei is sleepy. Here was her night last night:
- Midnight: say goodbye to Miles and Hannah
- 12:30 am: draw labs and take vital signs
- 1:00 am: receive IV Medications
- 1:15-2:00 am: Try to sleep but can't get comfortable
- 2:00 am: take vital signs
- 2:30 am: receive unit of platelets
- 3:00 am: vitals (post platelets)
- 3:30 am: bathroom and hang potassium
- 4:00 am: vital signs and take oral medication
- 4:30 am: receive second unit of platelets
- 5:00 am: redraw blood after platelets
- 5:30 am: start whole blood transfusion (one unit)
- 6:00 am: vitals
- 6:30 am: check on blood transfusion
- 7:00 am: shift change, nurse hand off
- 7:30 am: oral medications
- 8:00 am: vitals
- 8:15 am: vomit spontaneously
- 8:30 am: Doctor does rounds.
Add to this an IV pole that beeps constantly.
Lorelei is exhausted.
The good news is that Lorelei's infection seems to be responding to the IV antibiotics. We discussed the sleep issue with the doctors and they have now changed the timing of her blood draw for labs from midnight to 9:00 am. And they have strict orders NOT to wake her for vitals. So, she's sleeping now! I hope she sleeps till 4:00 pm.
Posted on Fri, November 2, 2012
by Andrea Decker